13 September 2006

A Few Oddities...

So, what do you pack if you're moving to Africa for over 2 years? Well, aside from the obvious (*cough* sunblock *cough*), there's a few little things that I'm bringing that aren't on the normal lists:

1. An actual lantern. It was a gift from the University of Pittsburgh during a welcoming ceremony. Who knew it would come in handy?

2. Eagles teddy bear. Because soccer just isn't the same. *sigh*

3. My U2 hoodie. Now, the temperature may never drop into the seventies while I'm there, but it's the same as a security blanket to me. All about comfort. Only Maeg and Shelly would understand the joy of gay men dancing.

4. Christmas music. I adore Christmas, and Christmas music is one of my favorite things about the season. So, I'm bringing it along.

5. Wildwood camera-telescope keychains. They remind me of old friends and great times, and I'll bet they don't have anything like them in Togo.

6. My Live 8 pass. It's something small to hang up in my house to serve as a reminder of how decent people can be, even in Philly in 90 degree weather with little shade. "Free hugs!"

I'm sure I'll wind up stuffing a few other things in my bag at the last second, but these ones are all ready to go.

2 comments:

me said...

Hi Melissa!!! I would have taken everything you said too. lol.

Mary Osh said...

Hey Meliss,

I miss you already. I love you. Mom